Packing your boxes and preparing for your move is a lot of work. Whether staying in Atlanta or embarking on an exciting cross-country move, Wirks Moving & Storage is your trusted partner for a worry-free experience. Use our list of the 12 essential packing tips below to make it as easy and efficient as possible.
12 Essential Packing Tips
1. Gather all required packing supplies and moving boxes of different sizes.
You will need different sizes of strong moving boxes to pack items of various sizes. Ensure you purchase good quality packing materials and strong moving boxes or cartons; consult a professional for recommendations. Also, consider acquiring the following:
- Moving boxes of different sizes
- Padding supplies
- Bubble wraps
- Wrapping sheets
- Newspapers, blank newsprint paper, Scissors
- Heavy-duty packaging tape, Labeling stickers
- Marking pens
2. Make a spacious packing station at your current residence.
Wrap each individual item properly with enough layers of wrapping sheets or bubble wrap, if necessary. Place items inside a box with extreme care in the correct position to avoid damage. Place heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on the top inside the boxes.
- Pack heavy items, such as books, toys, etc., in a small box. Don’t over-pack boxes until they are bulky and may break.
- Pack fragile or breakable items with extra care and attention. Use more wrapping sheets or bubble wrap layers to protect such items if required.
- Use wadded newspapers or crushed papers to fill empty spaces of boxes or cartons.
3. Make sure to pack everything that belongs in a particular room together in a room-labeled box.
It also makes unpacking easier once you get where you are going. Start packing one room at a time, packing smaller items first to get them out of the way. Carefully mark and tape each box so you can find everything when you unpack.
4. Pack an “Open First” box.
This box will probably include what you have used until the move date. It may also be helpful to add items such as dish soap, a sponge, a roll of paper towels, Kleenex, a couple of pens, scissors, plastic/paper plates/forks, a bottle opener, bath towels for each family member, one pot, one pan, one plastic stirring utensil, an extra box cutter, etc. Think about small handy items you might want access to before you unpack all boxes. Remember that people will need to wash their hands, eat, and shower long before you unpack on the other end of the move. Also, toss in a sugary treat such as Lifesavers or hard candies in case anyone gets hungry or has low blood sugar on move-in day.
5. Pack a suitcase or box for each family member several days in advance.
Include a personal-sized bar of soap, a new toothbrush, toothpaste, towel, washcloth, disposable razor if needed, some ‘relaxing’ clothes (sweats or something similar) and two complete changes of clothes, and anything else you know each person will need during the first few days (while everything else is in boxes). Keep these boxes or suitcases in a safe place where they will not be mixed in with everything else. For example, store them in the car or even farther away. Bring them with you in the car, or however you are traveling.
6. Create a “Moving File” with important paperwork for your move.
Include the following in the moving file:
- Moving truck reservation
- Moving helper payment codes (if applicable)
- Pet veterinarian records
- Cash for movers tips
- Hotel reservation
- Contact information for essential people (realtor or property owner).
- Any important documents you could need before you have the chance to unpack
Keep this file in a safe place, such as your suitcase, where you will not accidentally pack it in a box.
7. Clean out the kitchen.
Toss away junk and only box things that you use. Use your kitchen food storage containers for all loose things you find as you empty drawers from the kitchen, desks, or table drawers. Do not forget to look inside the dishwasher. Label boxes according to contents and rooms they belong in, then securely close or tape them. Use various-sized bags for the same purpose. Add a sticky note inside each bag noting the contents like “stereo cables” and “pens and pencils.” Place all containers and bags inside a larger box labeled appropriately with room and content.
8. Begin taking apart any large items and placing all hardware in double-thick Ziploc bags, according to contents and room.
Keep all bags in one box with the proper tools — Allen wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. These Ziploc bags will make it easier to put everything back together when you have moved in.
9. Make sure you keep the box of hardware and tools in a central place where everyone can find it.
This will make reassembling much easier. Place in it the small things like video earplugs, remote controls, boxes of nails, and stuff you will need immediately after moving in.
10. Stack the boxes when finished filling, taping, and labeling them.
Try to keep them stacked in the rooms that you have finished packing. Keep all power strips, extension cords, and grounded adapters in one specific box; they will be much easier to find later. Clearly label the hardware box and the extension cord box. Consider spray-painting both boxes bright yellow or red. Place all the screws or bolts back into an item after disassembly. This way, you can connect the bed or put the lampshade back on immediately instead of searching for them.
11. Look in each room, and ensure it is empty.
Place any last-minute items together in one room.
12. Check each room.
Remember that after filling the truck and the movers tell you they have everything, check out each room to ensure you haven’t left anything. This is your responsibility. When you are confident that each room is clean, then it is time to shut the door and go!
Wirks Moving & Storage Can Help!
Wirks Moving & Storage is a licensed and insured family-owned business serving the Metro Atlanta area. We have earned a reputation as a premiere moving and storage company, committed to providing the highest quality customer service. Wirks Moving & Storage specializes in local and long-distance moving, both residential and commercial. We also provide professional packing services, secure short and long-term storage, and offer various moving supplies.
Whether you’re moving across the street, across town, across the state, or the country, Wirks Moving & Storage will be there from start to finish. We invite you to join our growing number of repeat and referral customers and see why we are the top-rated moving and storage company in Metro Atlanta. Contact us online or call (404) 905-3180 before your next move.