How long has it been since you walked your property and took a really good look at your trees? It’s important to periodically check your trees to determine if you have any tree issues around your home. This article will show you how to diagnose common tree health problems on your property.
Trees are beautiful, provide shade in all the right places, and play a vital role in your property’s landscape design, but problems could lurk in the leaves and branches.
This is the ideal time to assess the trees on your property to ensure they are tip-top! A quick check will help you stop the invasion of persistent pests and discover diseases before they kill an important part of your landscape.
Is Your Tree Healthy and Normal?
The first place to start is knowing what type of tree you have. Does it shed its leaves each year like an oak or maple? Or is it an evergreen that is like a spruce or pine tree? And don’t feel like you have to know what species it is exactly. You just want a general sense of what the tree should look like when it’s healthy.
Check the Leaves
- Are the leaves yellow, red, or brown?
- Are they spotted or discolored?
- Do the leaves look distorted or disfigured?
- Is there a sticky liquid on the leaves?
- Do the leaves appear wet or give off a foul odor?
- Are leaves missing?
- Are parts of the leaves chewed?
Check the Trunk and Branches
- Are there holes or splits in the trunk or branches?
- Is the bark peeling from a tree that shouldn’t shed its bark?
- Are there tunnels or unusual patterns under the bark?
- Is there sawdust on or under the tree?
- Is there sap oozing down the tree?
- Does the sap have a bad odor?
- Do sticky drops fall on you when you stand under the tree?
If you answered YES to any of the questions above, there’s a good chance something is wrong. And now would be the perfect time to decide how to treat the issue or if it is time to remove the tree before the problem spreads.
Three Things to Do to Minimize Tree Health Problems
1. Confirm the Tree Species:
- If you are unsure, use the Arbor Day Tree Guide to confirm the type of tree it is.
2. Diagnose the Problem:
- Tree diseases and pests vary tremendously from region to region, and what’s ailing a tree is often challenging to diagnose. You can use some online resources to determine what may be happening.
- University of Georgia Extension
- Georgia Forestry Commission
- Arbor Day Foundation
3. Call in the Pros at Tomahawk Tree Service:
- Our team of experts will come out and assess what is going on and, if necessary, provide a free estimate if trimming, pruning, or removal is needed.
- Click here to book your appointment online right now.
Now that you know how to diagnose common tree health problems and have questions contact our Tomahawk Tree Service operations scheduling team to set up an appointment or discuss potential tree health problems. Call us at 404-436-2640 or Email Us.
Don’t forget to mention our September Tree Health Special!